Afya - Traders Hotel, Abu Dabi

In a previous post I looked at Traders Hotel and commented on my visit to Afya for breakfast - it was not enjoyable. What a contrast my dinner experience was. Afya has done a lot to market themselves as a restaurant that offers good food at a price that is affordable but does not compromise the overall experience of higher end casual dining. Afya has introduced theme nights too, and on my visit, it was an Asian Night.



They had a Chinese chef preparing noodles at a live station as well as a station with a selection of Asian delicacies. I chose to go for their Wine and Dinner special which had  a 3 course set menu and unlimited wine. At Dhs145++ this is tremendous. A side note is that there great variety with regards to the main course.  An off-putting thing though, was the cheap and tacky menu which was nothing more than a laminated print out.


Complimentary salad bar




The wine on offer is the Wolfblass Eaglehawk Merlot that is, incidentally, also served in Shangri-La as the 'house wine'. It is a very passable, easy drinking wine. For my main I ordered the Sirloin steak with vegetables. Having tried their lamb before, I expected it to be very good.


Deliciously juicy and tender. 


As far as service is concerned, well is hit and miss. If they are full, you will get a  sense that the staff are a bit rushed. On this occasion, however, everything was very professional, waiters were visible, so it was easy to get a  top up on a drink if needed. After a visit to the salad bar, the latter which is unlimited by the way, I settled down in anticipation of my main course. The beef was, in a word, surprising. It was better than I expected; cooked to perfection. Without doubt I recommend it. The pic posted here comes close to doing it justice, but it does not convey the tender, juicy feeling as you bite into it. I knew that any dessert would be an anticlimax after that entree, but was curious to see if the Om Ali was as sweet as I have found it in every place I have had it. I had a spoonful and...Sweet. I realised it is simply a sweet dessert.

Afya is a worth a visit. It is not 5 stars and does not pretend to be. It offers a good all-round dining experience at a fraction of the price you would pay at a Shangri-la or Jumeirah.

Comments